May 01, 2008

Ancient Y chromosome studies

(Last Updated 24 Dec 2013) I was looking at my ancient DNA archives, and, while still not as common as mtDNA, there have been quite a few archaeogenetic studies involving human Y chromosomes.

Paleolithic Siberian from Mal'ta [1 R*]
Mesolithic Europeans from Luxembourg and Sweden [2 I2a1b, 1 I2, 2 I]
Neolithic Linearbandkeramik from Derenburg [2 F*(xG,H,I,J,K), 1 G2a3]
Bronze Age from West Liao-River northern China [N-M231, O3-M122]
Lower Xiajiadian Bronze Age West Liao-River northern China [3 N1(xN1a,N1c, 2 O3]
Upper Xiajiadian Bronze Age West Liao-River northern China [1 C3e, 3 N1c, 1 N1(xN1a,N1c), 2 O3a, 2 O3a3c]
Northern Steppe culture Bronze Age West Liao-River northern China [12 C3e]
Prehistoric Paleo-Eskimo from Greenland [1 Q1a]
Ancient Chinese from the Yangtze River [14 O1, 3 O2a, 7 O3*, 5 O3d, 1 O3e, 18 undetermined]
Bronze Age Lichtenstein Cave in Germany [estimated presence I1b2*, R1a1, R1b1c]
Ancient Mongolian [presence of Tat-C in Yakut and Xiongnu]
Ancient Egyin Gol Mongolians and here and here [Y-STR in Table 2 of second study; N3, Q, C]
Ancient Mongolian Xiongnu [1 R1a1]
New Kingdom Egyptian pharaoh Ramesses III [1 E1b1a]
Aboriginals from Canary Islands [E-M78, E-M81, J-M267, E-M33, I-M170, K-M9, P-M45, R-M269]
Late Antique Basques [4 I, 2 R1b3d, 19 R1(xR1a1), 2 R-M173]
Late Antique Imperial Roman from Bavaria [2 R1b, 2 I1, 2 E1b1b, 2 I1/G2a]
Medieval Hungarians [Two Tat-C out of four]
Medieval Germans from Ergolding, Bavaria, Germany [4 R1b (two siblings), 2 G2a]
Medieval Swedes from Stockholm [2 I1, probably related]
Recent Frozen Yakuts [8 N1c, 5 non-N1c]

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Hmmm...

I1 seems conspicuous by its absense from literally anyplace on the continent.
I thought that this was THE Hg of 'Germanic tribes',
but all we find in Germany is every other Hg.

Starting to look like a steppe population that wandered into the semi-arctic of central scandinavia,
and bided its time til the local weather changes and weakness on the continent, encouraged the I1 to cross over onto the continent

sidoroffs said...

Mike, the LBK was expected to be a migratory minority based on archaeology and antropology.

The BBs - a migratory majority based on the DNA data we already had.

Nobody has actually tested the original population of Germany.

Ed said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Krefter said...

What about Corded ware cultures two R1a1's, I or J?, and G? Also there are 17 Y DNA samples from Indo Iranians in central asia from bronze and iron age 16 had R1a1 and 1 had C(not C3). Also what about 10,300ybp Q M3 from southeast Alaska and 24,000ybp R from Siberia.